photo free-pink-lace-blog-graphic-lauren_zps3281f227.jpg

Friday, February 15, 2013

Confessions of a B. U. Grad: “Qualifications” is a Bad Word




Published in the Bluffton News -- January 17, 2013

Adolescents yearn for the time when they are treated like adults.  Words like responsibility inspire hope and excitement in them.  They are encouraged to follow their dreams and are always looking forward to the next step.  It is difficult for them to relish the present, or the journey.

I speak from experience.

However, experience is exactly what I have been conditioned to feel that I lack.  It’s true, my life has been spent in experience—each period of my life has been spent in preparation for the next period.  Before I went to elementary school, I watched educational children’s shows and my grandfather started teaching me to read and write; then, when I was elementary I attended an orientation for Middle School that detailed the new concepts of hallway lockers, scheduling your classes, and making it to the classroom by the ring of that fateful bell; in Middle School, the class was lectured that high school would be more responsibility and less supervision—and therefore it was time for us to “get our acts together”; and in high school, I took practice ACTs and ACTs, practice OGTS and OGTs, career assessments, PSO courses at the local community college, and filled out college application after college application.  Each period had its own event within the near future for which to worry and hastily prepare. 

When I made it to college, I thought I was on my way to becoming a “qualified” individual.  In college, I would gain knowledge, skills, wisdom, maturity, a degree, and experience.  Being the first in my family to receive a college degree, and living within a job market much different than that of my parents, professors, teachers, and other mentors, I did not anticipate what I would be met with post-graduation.  I could complete many tasks exceptionally well, but when it came to being qualified for the positions actually available, and within my area, I came up short.

The “qualifications” section of job descriptions became my least favorite.  On job search engines like Monster, LinkedIn, Indeed, Career Builder, and Alumni Central, a College Central Network site that Bluffton University’s Career Development Center utilizes, I would quickly scroll down to the qualifications section before allowing myself to become hopeful.  I found that “entry level” did not always mean “fresh out of college.”  Oftentimes, there was experience needed even before one could be qualified for these so-called entry level positions.  This did not stop me from continuing to apply, however, because I remained hopeful that sometimes a good application was better than having all the qualifications. 

I also found that jobs were overall in a scarce condition.  The jobs that I had researched for fun when I was in college were no longer there.  The searches that I conducted, regardless of how vague I could get them to be, yielded little results.  The results that I did end up with were not full of dream jobs.  There were a few jobs that I thought I could tolerate until I could relocate or perhaps until I stumbled upon some fated perfect job opening in the future, but most of the jobs required a higher degree or a degree in something other than English or Writing (my majors).    

After applying to these jobs that I felt I had a chance at, I waited.  I received a few phone calls from graduate schools or career centers wanting my money, but no calls from places actually thinking of hiring me.  I started to feel emotionally drained from trying to give every application question my all, and I even started to forget which jobs I had already applied to and which I had not.

It is so unfortunately true that the current job market is very difficult to succeed in, and personally, it is apparent that searching for a job is one of the most stressful tasks I have had to face yet.  In order to persevere, though, I will try to channel that impending excitement that I had throughout high school and college.  I have to continue looking out and not freaking out.  I have to remember how I have faced difficult times in the past. 

Something I learned from the village of Bluffton was to remain hopeful and patient in the times of quiet.  While chaos ensues worldwide, Bluffton remains calm and collected—its members put their own problems aside to volunteer their own time and resources to others.  I’ve often heard that the minute you stop thinking about your own troubles, and start to help others, it is then that you receive what you need.  I truly believe that this is why Bluffton is an area of hope, happiness, and blessing.    

When the Riley floods, Bluffton doesn’t stop.  When I am full of uncertainty and discouragement, I cannot stop.  I refuse to let myself accept that I am not qualified for positions available to me right now.  I will keep on searching and keep on planning.  I will keep on keeping on, and lose the extraneous effects of my own problems while in the pursuit of helping others.

Would you believe that while writing this article I received a phone interview?

Believe and persevere.    

No comments:

Post a Comment