photo free-pink-lace-blog-graphic-lauren_zps3281f227.jpg

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Confessions of a B. U. Grad: The Truth Sets Free

The dangers of paperwork!!!


Published in the Bluffton News -- January 24, 2013

Interviews seem to all go pretty similarly.  They ask for your strengths and weaknesses, how you performed at other jobs, how you would perform during a specific scenario likely to arise in that job.  They may ask, “If we asked others about you, how do you think they would describe you?" 

As I answer these questions, I feel as though I probably answer them differently every interview, and I probably answer them similarly to other job candidates interviewing for the position. 

What are your weaknesses?  You want to be very honest with this question, but you also want the job.  I am certain that people do not actually list their true, human-like qualities.  I could never imagine someone answering, “I have a problem with lateness” or “I am not a morning person.”  What about, “I tend to get really lazy towards the end of the week,” or “In the past, I have not gotten along with coworkers”?  I can envision the knowing looks of potential employers and the immediate personal wall that would be built in between the job candidate and the potential employer as soon as he or she stated their true weaknesses.  This is a competition, not a confessional.

Competition makes job searching difficult.  Interviewers must make themselves out to be better than every other candidate in a small amount of time.  When I was in Bluffton, I did not really need to be competitive.  I worked hard on my own coursework, worked one-on-one with my advisor to plan classes, worked with others in a group at times, and was evaluated by my own work—not on my work compared to others’ work.  If the rest of the world worked like Bluffton, the world would be a much better place.

The difference may be due to the amount of people looking for work compared to the small community of people in Bluffton.  Politicians make promises that more jobs will become available soon, that the economy is going to get better soon— soon, soon, soon.  In the presence of this impending shadow of uncertainty, I come to a question that many other job-seekers arrive at—Should I just go to graduate school now?

Thankfully, I have a couple of job prospects at this time; however, I am not getting my hopes up.  In the village of Bluffton, it was fairly easy to hold on to hope.  Walking down the street, attending the university, or visiting Bluffton’s small businesses, I encounter friendliness and smiles.  In Bluffton, I learned to trust people and to trust my own abilities, as well.  How can I take these priceless, gained positives from a small community to a large community full of competition, selfishness, and negativity?

I know that I went to Bluffton University for a reason.  I lived in its quaint community to learn something about people, and to learn something about life.  The university’s sculpture, Constellation Earth, represents this life lesson to me well.  The seven children holding hands in a globe shape represent the seven continents of the earth.  Though this figure is a replica of Granlund’s sculpture in Nagasaki, Japan’s Peace Park, it certainly fits Bluffton, but also the rest of the world.  The figures in the sculpture are nude, symbolizing that underneath it all, we are all the same.  We all have dreams, needs, and fears.  When the world necessitates competition, we can work alongside competition with two mediums.  We can choose to continue our positive, honest, and humble natures (like those that I fostered in Bluffton), or we can choose to change ourselves into something negative, manipulated by a need for power in difficult times.     

I refuse to leave what I learned from Bluffton behind.  I remain hopeful in my job search and plan to stay honest, positive, hardworking, and humble when faced with difficult times like what I face as I search for a job in a difficult market.

The truth sets free.  

No comments:

Post a Comment